Once we gather the necessary information, we can then begin our water main leak detection process. It is important that we collect all the information we can prior to commencement. The following are the crucial pieces of information we need when using our Leak Correlating Technology:
- The type of pipe (plastic, iron, copper, etc.)
- The size (diameter) of the pipe
- The length and physical location/path of the pipe
- The depth of the pipe
Leak correlating is an advanced piece of technology that is in some cases, the only way to find a subsurface leak. Ground microphones are a great tool to use when you want to find a leak but there are limitations. Some of these limitations are:
- Leak too small to hear with microphone
- The pipe is too deep and the sound cannot be detected
- The run or path of the line is too extensive to walk the vast area with a microphone
- Loud, continuous environmental noises that muffle out the leak sound when listening with a mic
Our trained technicians are versed in knowing how, when and where to use the leak correlation. It is up to the professional to make the decision if a leak correlation is the best choice which is based on:
- Site conditions
- Environmental obstacles
- Sufficient information about the material, size, location, and depth of line.
- Clean and accessible termination points such as valves or the pie itself.